HSM Group respects your privacy and protects your personal data. Personal data is any information that identifies or can be used to identify an individual, on its own or when combined with other information.
As part of HSM’s recruiting processes and programs, this Recruiting Privacy Notice (“Privacy Notice”) describes how we handle and protect your personal information. In the event of a conflict between this Privacy Notice and applicable law, applicable law will prevail.
The information in this Privacy Notice applies only to job candidates, potential employees, and participants in our recruitment programs and events. HSM collects this information directly through the online application process, follow-up communications and/or alternative channels (e.g., Indeed). Please note that this Privacy Notice does not apply to personal data collected by HSM from employees, partners, clients, vendors, or other third parties.
You acknowledge the following by providing us with your personal data:
- This Privacy Notice has been read and understood by you, and you consent to the use of your personal data as described herein.
- If you do not provide any requested information to us, we may not be able to continue your application for the job for which you applied.
- Your representations are all true and correct, and no adverse information has been knowingly omitted. Failure to provide accurate information may result in you being ineligible for employment.
- This Privacy Notice does not form part of any contract of employment offered to candidates hired by HSM.
Personal data we collect
When you apply for a job with us, we usually collect personal information directly from you, such as your name, address, contact information, educational and work history, achievements, and identification documents. Upon receiving an offer from us, we may conduct a background check and, to the extent permitted by law, collect data regarding criminal offenses and proceedings. Third parties may also provide us with similar information about you, such as professional recruiting firms, your references, previous employers, HSM employees with whom you have interviewed or who recommended your candidacy, and employment background check providers, as permitted by applicable law.
As defined by law, sensitive personal data includes ethnicity, health, trade union membership, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, and other categories as well as personal data. As permitted by applicable laws (e.g., United States equal opportunity laws) and to support our efforts to create an inclusive and diverse workplace, we may collect sensitive personal data about a candidate. Additionally, we may collect sensitive personal data in the event that a candidate voluntarily discloses it during the recruitment process without being asked to do so. Occasionally, we may also collect sensitive information relating to health and medical characteristics, such as infection status, test results, and vaccination status, to protect our employees, clients, and other third parties.
Use of your personal data
We collect and use your personal data for legitimate human resources and business management reasons, including:
- identifying and evaluating candidates for potential employment, as well as for future roles that may become available;
- maintaining records in relation to recruiting and hiring;
- ensuring compliance with legal requirements, including those relating to public health and workplace safety;
- conducting background checks, including, to the extent permitted by applicable law, and if you receive an offer from us, criminal history checks;
- protecting our legal rights to the extent authorized or permitted by law; and
- protecting the workplace and communicating with medical professionals, law enforcement, or other public authorities in the event of an emergency or public health event, such as when the health or safety of you or one or more individuals may be endangered, including, to the extent permitted by applicable law, sharing data about the status of an infection, test results, and vaccination status.
Your personal information may also be used for HSM analytics purposes, including in aggregated/pseudonymized form, to improve our recruitment and hiring process and enhance our ability to attract successful candidates.
Legal basis for processing your personal data
Our processing of your personal data for the purposes mentioned above is based:
- in part, on our legitimate business interests in evaluating your application to manage our relationship with you, to ensure that we recruit appropriate employees, and to evaluate and maintain the efficacy of our recruiting process more generally;
- and in operating our business and protecting HSM and its employees, clients, and third parties.
- in part, on our performing contractual and pre-contractual measures relating to our potential employment relationship with you;
- in part, on our complying with applicable law with regard to personal data necessary to satisfy our legal and regulatory obligations, including with regard to public health and workplace safety;
- in part, on your consent, if we offer you the opportunity to participate in our optional recruiting programs or if we collect sensitive personal data for legally permitted purposes other than compliance with our legal obligations regarding public health and workplace safety.
We may conduct a background check on you or instruct a third party to do so on our behalf if you receive an offer from us. The background screening process will only be conducted where it is permitted by law and if it is necessary and proportional to the role that you will be offered. To the extent permitted by law, background checks will only include criminal background information. Our legal basis for conducting background checks is our need to perform pre-contractual measures related to the establishment of our employment relationship. In the event that a background screening is required, a third-party background screening service provider may contact you to obtain your authorization, and you will then be provided with further information about the background screening process and what personal data it might involve.
In the event you accept an offer of employment with us, any personal data collected as part of your pre-employment period will be incorporated into your personnel records and retained in accordance with specific country requirements and the privacy notice applicable to HSM employees during the onboarding process.
While we will not employ you, we may nevertheless retain and use your personal information for system administration purposes, to consider you for future roles, and to perform research. After that, we retain only a minimal amount of data about you to track your recruiting activity.
When we collect personal data, including sensitive personal data, for the specific purpose of fulfilling our legal obligations regarding public health or workplace safety, we will retain that data for the length of those legal obligations. A minimal amount of your personal data is retained to ensure we are complying with those obligations.
Your resume may be kept on file and considered for future positions. When this occurs, we will ask for your consent to include you in one of our recruiting programs, which provide you with opportunities to find out more about and to stay in touch with HSM, whether before or after you apply formally for a job. These recruiting programs are entirely optional.
To protect your personal data, we use generally accepted standards of technical and operational security. Access to personal data is restricted to HSM employees and our third-party service providers, and both are obligated to keep the information confidential. However, we cannot ensure that unauthorized persons won’t gain access to your data despite these precautions.
For the purposes for which we collect and use your personal data, we take reasonable steps to keep it accurate, complete, and up-to-date. In addition, we have implemented measures to ensure that our processing of your personal data is compliant with this Privacy Notice and applicable law.
In accordance with applicable law, you may have one or more of the following rights:
- a right to request information about the personal data we hold about you, including the details of how we use that information and who we share it with;
- a right to request a copy of the personal data that we hold about you;
- a right to amend or rectify your personal data if any of the information held about you is incorrect or out of date;
- a right to portability of your personal data;
- a right to request erasure of your personal data;
- a right to demand that we cease the processing of your personal data or that we restrict the processing of your personal data;
- a right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data, to the extent our processing relies on your consent as the lawful basis for processing. This right may not apply if there are other legal justifications to continue processing or we need to retain certain personal data where required or permitted under applicable law; and/or
- a right to provide us with instructions as to the processing of your personal data in case of death.
Furthermore, where applicable law permits, you have the right to file a complaint with a data protection authority.
Requests for access, review, correction, deletion or porting of your personal data, asserting a right with respect to your personal data, or discussing how we process your personal data can be made by completing the following form: Contact Us. If you are unable to access this form for any reason, you can contact us using the information at the end of this Privacy Notice.
Before granting you access to your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity. As required by law, we will make reasonable efforts to promptly investigate, comply with, or otherwise respond to your requests. In some cases, we may not be able to provide access to personal data or otherwise fully comply with your request; for example, where revealing your information may reveal the identity of another individual. When permitted by law, we reserve the right to charge an appropriate fee for complying with your request, and/or to deny your request if it appears to be unfounded, excessive, or otherwise unacceptable under applicable law.
Social Media Tools
We can collect relevant personal data from information you have on third-party websites (such as Facebook or Indeed) as part of our application process. If you incorporate your personal data from a third-party website, it will be used according to this Privacy Notice.
Cookies and other tracking technologies
HSM does not and will not sell your information to anyone.